Consolidation is stronger than ever and Group Dentistry Now is the only place to find the complete list of monthly deals to keep you informed on the ever-shifting dental landscape. Here is GDN’s exclusive list of DSO and emerging group deals for January:
Mubadala Investment Company, Abu Dhabi’s sovereign investment arm, has acquired Florida-based Dental Care Alliance, a US DSO with about 390 allied practices across 22 American states. Mubadala’s headquarters is in Abu Dhabi. Mubadala and funds managed by Harvest Partners jointly control the DCA. Mubadala, which is at the heart of the UAE’s efforts to diversify its economy, manages more than $284 billion in assets globally. Khaldoon Al Mubarak is the managing director and Group CEO of Mubadala. Founded in 1991, the DCA has about 5,400 employees, including more than 885 dentists that handle more than 3.5 million patient visits a year.
DCA recently welcomed new partners:
- Racine Dental Group of Racine, Wisconsin. Located in the growing lakefront community of Racine, Racine Dental Group is an 85-operatory and 65,000 square foot facility with a satellite pediatric dental location in Lake Geneva.
- Cross, Lavinder, Quinn & Park Family Dentistry in Roanoke, Virginia area. Dentists are Dr. Griffin Cross, Dr. Lisa Lavinder, Dr. Stephen Quinn, and Dr. Adam Park
- VA Smiles, a nine doctor, four location comprehensive oral health care practice with locations in Northeast Virginia led by Dr. Ahmadiyar.
Dental management services provider Select Dental Management LLC is in the market for new investors, industry sources have told The Deal. Harris Williams & Co. has been conducting an auction process for the business, two industry sources said. Select Dental generates annual Ebitda in the low double-digits, one of the sources said. First-round bids were due in early December, the source added. Florham Park, N.J.-based Select Dental, whose backers include RF Investment Partners, provides support services to 38 practices across nine states and Washington, D.C., according to its website. The company was founded in 2018. Over the past three years, the company had revenue growth of 2,833%, according to the Inc. 5000 list published in August. Elliot Zibel is the co-founder of Select Dental Management.
According to Axois, “Houlihan Lokey is advising Woodbridge, Virginia-based Lightwave. Lightwave is being marketed on around $40 million in EBITDA. The process launched in the fourth quarter of 2022. Alpine acquired Lightwave in 2016 for an undisclosed price. Lightwave has 76 practices across Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Alabama, over 1,800 employees, and is a non-Medicaid provider, per its website.”
Brident Dental & Orthodontics, a member of the Sonrava Health family of wellness companies, announces its first new office opening of 2023, in Lewisville, Texas. It has 10 treatment rooms – four of which are dedicated to specialty dental care, including endodontic and pediatric dentistry. Dr. Yein Kim is the Senior Clinical Director of Sonrava Health’s Central Region. Brident Dental & Orthodontics, with its supported affiliates has been expanding access and equity of oral healthcare in 126 dental practices throughout Texas. Sonrava Health is a national family of health and wellness companies – including differentiated dental office brands with more than 560 affiliated offices, dental and vision benefit plans, provider networks, and consumer products and services.
The Smilist Management, Inc. achieved record growth in 2022. Over the course of the year, The Smilist welcomed 15 locations and entered two new states, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. The Smilist also welcomed new investor partners to the business. The 2022 Emerging Group to Watch winner affiliated with seven practices:
- All Smiles Dentistry in New York City, NY
- Blossom Dental in Copiague, NY
- Charles M. Marks, DDS and Dental Associates in New York City, NY
- New Windsor Dental Center in New Windsor, NY
- Ross Bederman, DDS and Associates in East Meadow, NY
- Signature Dental of Bucks County, in Warminster, PA
- The Practice at Maxwell Place in Hoboken, NJ
- Song Orthodontics and Dr. Immi Song, Albany CA.
- Dr. Nicholas C. Rizos, DMD PLLC, Bedford, NH, Acquisition
- Vanguard Dental Group, Derry, NH, Acquisition
- Graff Orthodontics, Farmington, NM, Acquisition
- Rolling Hills Family Dentistry, Poway, CA, Acquisition
- Joshua M. Ignatowicz, DMD & Associates, Henderson, NV, Acquisition
- Brighton Healthy Smiles, Brighton, MI, Acquisition
- Spearmint Kids & Orthodontics, Wichita Falls, TX, De Novo
- Smiles by Design, Oceanside, NY, Acquisition
- Paul Mallouk, DDS, Delano, CA, Acquisition
- Ocean Dental Studio, Boynton Beach, FL, Acquisition
- Palms Dental Care, Lake Worth, FL, Acquisition
- Bessey Creek Dental Care, Palm City, FL, Acquisition
- River Bend Family Dentistry, Jupiter, FL, Acquisition
- Groves Dental Care, Loxahatchee, FL, Acquisition
- Smiles by Design, Hewlett, NY, Acquisition
- Breezy Point Smiles, Breezy Point, NY, Acquisition
- Hastings Dental – Dr. Trent Anderson & Dr. Jim Kerr
- Washington Square Dental – Dr. Trent Anderson & Dr. Cassie Bullard
- Sunray Family Dental – Dr. Trent Anderson & Dr. Allison Helget
- Bjerke Dental – Dr. Trent Anderson & Dr. Scott Bjerke
- Joe Nguyen, D.M.D., M.S.D. and his team at Cape Cod Perio join the implant DSO. Cape Cod Perio serves Cape Cod, the Islands and South Shore.
- Dr. Arshiya Sharafi, Dr. Evans and Dr. Zandevakili of SD Oral Surgery join the group with their two San Diego, California locations.
Frontline Dental Implant Specialists was founded in 2022 and is headquartered in Dallas, Texas. Frontline is led by CEO, Leigh Feenburg.
The DSO opened their second location in Missouri in Independence. Dental Depot Independence is led by Dr. Kyle Milson.
GDP added 73 partners to its dental partnership network, including:
- Dr. Andrew Forrest and his five multi-specialty locations in Florida.
- Dr. Gary Ashton – Cardinal Park Family Dental Care in Leesburg, Virginia
- Dr. Steve Wolf – Legacy Periodontics & Implants in Novi, Michigan
- Dr. Jenny Gandhi – Pearl Dentistry in Charlotte, North Carolina
In addition, the group added Maryland, making it the 11th state to join the network. They also grew to 1,655 employees. A group of 10 GDP dentists visited La Romana, DR, to provide training and free dental care with the goal being to maximize the number of patient visits and help as many people as possible in the region.
Dr. Jason Bae and the Loudoun Center for Oral Surgery, located in Sterling, Va., has joined Allied OMS. Allied OMS brings Doctor Equity™ and its Private Equity Preparedness Model™ along with financial and operational support. Allied OMS is a doctor-owned, doctor-led management services organization in the oral and maxillofacial surgery space. Dan Hosler is the group’s CEO. Allied OMS is headquartered in Southlake, Texas.
In addition to expanding market share in several states, implementing clinical innovations that enhance patient care, and increasing efforts to advance medical-dental integration through multiple strategic partnerships and technologies, other notable achievements in the past year served as the foundation to poise the organization for continued growth in 2023. Dental-Medical integrations has been a big focus of the group, including partnering with Memorial Care, Sahara Health Group, and American Diabetes Association, to name a few. Additional milestones include opening their 900th supported practice, achieving 31% growth over the past three years, and welcoming a record number of new hires bringing current totals to over 13,800 team members.
PDS’ new de novo openings:
- Washington Plaza Dentistry, Thornton, CO
- Leesburg Modern Dentistry, Leesburg, VA
- Emerald Smiles Dentistry, Boise, ID
The two dental practices are Cincinnati-based Rogers Family Dentistry and St. Louis-based Dr. Allan Link DMD. Based in Cincinnati, Cordental Group is a DSO that supports affiliated practices across the Mid-Atlantic, Midwestern, and Southeastern U.S. It is led by co-founders, Dana Soper and Stephen Jones. The group is backed by NMS Capital.
- Medford Endodontics Partners, Drs. Duc Truong, Mark Wang and Vanessa Thai.
- Downtown Endodontic Group, Portland, Oregon, Dr John Johnson
- Columbia Endodontic Group, Drs. David Mehlhaff and David Kosa
Crain’s New York Business 2022 Fast 50 identified Dental365 as one of the fastest growing companies in New York. Measured on revenue growth from 2018 to 2021, Dental365 was named #19 on the list of 50. Premier Care Dental Management, a DSO headquartered in New York and best known for its Dental365 brand, celebrated its best year yet in 2022. The group is led by Dr. Scott Asnis, CEO & Founder. Premier Care Dental Management offers support services to dental and dental specialty offices, including Dental365, Leading Edge Oral Surgery, and Beacon Dental Health. The company provides support services to practices in five states – Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey.
The group recently welcomed two TMJ and orofacial pain specialists in the NY Metropolitan region. The two have joined forces to establish New York TMJ & Orofacial Pain, a new specialty division of Premier Care Dental Management. Over the last 32 years, Drs. Donald Tanenbaum and Steven Syrop have shared an office on 5th Avenue near Rockefeller Center while each maintaining their own practices in Long Island and Westchester, NY, respectively. Their shared practice philosophy shaped their care and treatment of patients who suffer with Temporomandibular Disorders and Orofacial Pain.
Founded in 2019 by Tom Clark and Austin McFee, Dentive has nearly 70 locations across nine states. To date, all of Dentive’s partner practices have joined the company via referral. The group is headquartered in Provo, Utah and was founded in 2019. The acquisition deal, reported by Axios, was a leveraged buyout according to HGGC partner Pat Dugoni.
Dr. Craig Yamamoto founded Oral Surgery Hawaii, the Honolulu-based practice, over 30 years ago and has since expanded to two other locations in the area. He is joined by Drs. Blake Kitamura, Eva Kiezik, Thomas Yamamoto and Michael Hironaka. Oral Surgery Hawaii offers the full range of oral & maxillofacial surgery with a focus in dental implants. The partnership with Oral Surgery Hawaii grows Beacon’s oral surgery network to include 24 oral & maxillofacial surgery practices and more than 100 clinicians in 10 states and key MSAs in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, Hawaii, Midwest, and Northern and Southern California.
Marquee announced an expansion of its JR Dental partnership with a new office location in Argyle Forest, Florida. JR Dental is led by Dr. Obdulia Rondon and provides comprehensive dental care to Jacksonville, Florida and its surrounding communities. With this expansion, JR Dental now delivers care in four locations through a team of nine dentists. With the addition of JR’s Argyle Forest Location, Marquee Dental Partners is now partnered with 66 offices in 5 states. Marquee Dental Partners, led by Fred Ward, is headquartered in Brentwood, TN.
- Geric Endodontics, Dr. Geric
- Doctor Paul Ho of South Shore Oral Surgery
- Drs. Robert McGarry & Gary Brankin of Camelot Endodontics
Dr. Diane Shieh of Amherst Orthodontics in Amherst, New Hampshire joins the group. Amherst Orthodontics is a legacy practice that was started in 1987 and recently joined the specialty DSO. Dr. Laura Milnor and her team at Milnor Orthodontics in Fort Collins Colorado also joins the DSO which now has 58+ practice locations. Corus Orthodontists is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The DSO is led by Dr. Paul Helpard, CEO.
- Dr. Wes Tillmann, Dr. Dane Nelson, Dr. Jordan Whatcott, and Dr. Marc Enslow and their teams at Nelson and Tillmann Family Dentistry and Oquirrh Mountain Dental,
- Dr. Michael L. Crowton and his team at Crowton Dental,
- Comfort Dental of Clinton, John Lee Roring, DDS,
- Nashville Aesthetic Dentistry, Dennis Wells, DMD
Life Dental Spa is a dental practice chain in Romania, with ten clinics across the country, specializing in laser treatments, a cutting-edge, pain-free technology. It has budgeted investments of more than 2 million euros this year, aimed at opening at least five new dental clinics. According to Life Dental Spa data, the expansion of the network and the growing appetite of Romanians for treatments performed with a modern technique, used in the United States and in the West, complemented by a medical team of professionals, made Life Dental Spa’s business double from one year to another, and the development plans will continue this year. According to Life Dental Spa data, prices for dental services in Romania are up to 75% more affordable than in the West, and interest in medical tourism has grown steadily year on year. They are looking for partners to grow with.
UK-based Portman Dental Care acquired the group which consists of two practices: in Wakefield, West Yorkshire: St Michael’s Dental Practice and St Michael’s Orthodontics Ltd. The practices – which comprise a total of nine surgeries – uniquely house an NHS dental practice on the ground floor and a state-of-the-art orthodontic clinic on the first floor. Founded in 2009 by CEO Sam Waley-Cohen, Portman Dental Care currently have 200 dental practices across the UK, Ireland and Benelux, including 16 orthodontic Portman Smile Clinics, caring for over 700,000 patients.
Dentex Health adds Lars Christensen Orthodontics which serves the Oxford, England community. This is the group’s 153rd practice. Dentex is headquartered in London, England and was founded in 2014.
Orthodontic Partners welcome three practices: Hutta & Hutta Orthodontics, Hutta Orthodontic Specialists, and Hutta & Price Orthodontics, with locations in Westerville, Gahanna, and Worthington, Ohio.
West Coast Dental Services Opens new location, French Valley, located in Winchester, California.
Southern Orthodontic Partners opened new practice in Nashville, Tennessee
Affordable Dentures & Implants (Affordable Care) had first grand opening of the year with the Spring, Texas location.
Heartland Dental announced the newest supported practice – Glendale Aesthetic Dentistry, led by Dr. Henry Yu.