Dentist practice ownership continues to decline, from 84.7% in 2005 to 73% in 2021, according to the latest data from the ADA Health Policy Institute. While solo practices continue to decrease, groups and dental support organizations continue to increase. According to the ADA, this accelerating shift on practice modality can be attributed to at least three factors:
- big exodus of the baby boomer dentist population,
- surge of younger dentists in the workforce, and
- COVID-19 pandemic.
With consolidation stronger than ever, here is September’s list:
Dental365 Reaches Milestone
Dental365 announced the opening of their 100th office – this one is in Brick Township, NJ. The DSO also welcomed Woodland Park Dental Associates, led by Dr. Jeffrey Ruggiero. With this addition, the DSO now has 20 locations within the state of New Jersey, and over 100 locations throughout New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Since 2014, Dental365 has nearly doubled in size each year.
- Dr. Vincent Guerra – Jupiter Dental Care in Jupiter Beach, FL
- Dr. John Andre – Andre Dental in Glen Allen, VA
- Dr. Allan Mohr – Smile Creations in Massapequa Park, NY
- Dr. Alan Markowitz – Great Boca Smiles in Boca Raton, FL
- Dr. Brown, Dr Reynolds, Dr Bobby LeNoir, Dr. Snow – BRSL Dentistry in Richmond, VA
- Dr. Barry Belton & Dr. Kevin Schrimper – Smiles of Rocky Mount in Rocky Mount, NC
- Dr. Tony D. Clark, Fort Walton Beach, Florida.
- Beach Teeth, in Manhattan Beach, California. Dr. Steven Ozer and Dr. Anne Norris-Ozer, a husband-and-wife team, have been practicing together since 1986 and opened their Manhattan Beach location in 2007.
- The Burgess Center for Cosmetic Dentistry, in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. The cosmetic dentistry practice was founded by Dr. Eric Burgess in 1999.
- Lakeshore Family Dental Care in Whitehall, MI. Dr. Ryan Brunworth has cared for patients in West Michigan for more than 17 years.
- Haslet Family Dentistry in Haslet, Texas. Dr. Steven Alaniz leads the practice and in July 2020, he completed the requirements to earn his Mastership in the Academy of General Dentistry, an achievement held by less than 2% of general dentists in the United States.
Specialty Dental Brands, TSG Consumer Partners and Leon Capital Finalize Growth Partnership.
Specialty Dental Brands, a DSO, TSG Consumer Partners, a PE firm, and Leon Capital Group announced that they have finalized a growth partnership. SDB management, including CEO Michael Schwartz and President Chris Scales, will continue to lead the business and its doctor partners will maintain significant ownership and complete clinical autonomy. SDB’s support platform of includes over 211 supported dental practices across 20 states.
- Dr. Justin Smith, owner of St. Andrews Dental Center in Panama City, Florida
- Dr. Jason Kirkland, owner of Riverside Dental in Tuscon, Arizona
- Dr. Rick Rizzo and Dr. Lucas Orals, owners of Spring View Dental in South Elgin, Illinois.
- Dr. John Burchfield, owner of Golden Dental Care, Golden, CO
- Dr. Marc Dunn, owner of Dunn Orthodontics in Roseville, CA
- Dr. Jay Bhatt, owner of Serenity Dental in Gilbert, Arizona
- Dr. Neal Morgan, Dr. Russel Harrah, and Dr. Michelle Konwick, Vassey Dental Partners in Peachtree City, Georgia
- Dr. Darce A. Slate, owner of Pure Dentistry in Rocklin, CA
- Dr. Jon Lindblom, owner of Safari Smiles Children’s Dentistry in Bartlesville, OK
- Dr. Todd Wynkoop, owner of Lake Ridge Endodontics in Lake Ridge, VA
- Dr. Daniel Rozen, owner of Lighthouse Point Orthodontics in Pompano Beach, FL and Rozen Orthodontics in Coral Springs, FL
Scottish Dental Group buy up two practices to add to their portfolio.
Glasgow-based Clyde Munro has struck a deal with dentists Duncan Sandland and Suzanne Seaton to acquire their Colinton Dental and Riccarton Dental practices after nearly two decades in charge. This comes after Clyde Munro last month announced it has exceeded 500,000 patients under its care. It now has 70 practices, more than 200 dentists and 500 members of staff.
Since the Start of 2022, Sage Dental Adds 14 Practices in Florida and Georgia as Part of Its Ongoing Expansion Plans.
Sage Dental has added 14 dental practices in Florida and Georgia since the start of 2022. As part of Sage’s ongoing strategy to expand its offerings to patients in both states, the new practices are comprised of new offices as well as acquisitions and include locations in Tampa Bay, East Naples, Lakeland, Ocala, Orlando, and Zephyrhills, FL, as well as Atlanta, GA. As part of the company’s overall growth plans, Sage has also welcomed more than 140 new clinicians since the start of the year including dentists, specialists, and hygienists. The DSO has 85 practices.
TAG – The Aspen Group® Celebrates the Opening of the 1000th Aspen Dental® Office
This milestone follows an announcement earlier this year that the company is converting all Aspen Dental offices to be fully digital by 2023, increasing operational efficiencies and same-day care options for patients. In June 2021, Aspen Dental celebrated its 900th office opening in Mount Pocono, Pa. Since then, Aspen Dental has opened an additional 100 offices over the last year and continues to open a new office location every four days on average.
Walmart Health Opens Location #27.
The latest location is in Brandon Florida. Walmart Health was launched in 2019 to provide key health center services for local customers with transparent pricing, regardless of insurance status. They deliver primary and urgent care, labs, x-ray and diagnostics, counseling, dental, optical and hearing services all in one facility, right next door to the Walmart Supercenter.
MINT Dentistry Welcomes New Location.
This new location in Manassas, Virginia marks their entrance in the state. The group also has locations in Texas and Georgia. MINT is dentist owned and headquartered in Dallas, Texas. With over 50,000 5-star Google reviews, the dental group was established by Dr. Field Harrison.
- Dr. Spencer Bjarnason, Oakwood Endodontics, Georgetown, TX.
- Dr. Sanjay Patel, Highlands Ranch Endodontics, Denver, CO.
- Dr. Ken Mangano, Dr. Michael Moreno, Dr. Michelle Hack, Endodontic Specialists, Pasadena, MD.
- Aria Dental and Mike Majors, DDS, located in San Antonio, TX.
- Aspire Dental teams in Chandler, Arizona and Rochester Hills, Michigan.
DECA Dental Group Opens First Office in Jacksonville, FL.
Dr. Sulman Ahmed founded the Dallas-based DECA Dental in 2008 with one location. The DSO has grown to over 100 offices located in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington. The privately-owned dental group operates under the brand name: Ideal Dental. Dr. Ahmed has been recognized as a DSO Influencer.
Royal Dental in Houston Joins Brident Dental & Orthodontics.
Brident Dental & Orthodontics, a member of the Sonrava Health family of wellness companies, announced that it has completed the acquisition of Royal Dental. Royal Dental has been serving the greater Houston area for 30 years and was founded by Dr. Ayeez Lalji and Shelena Lalji. With the Royal Dental locations, Brident and its affiliates now have 50 offices in the Houston area and 130 in Texas. Altogether, Sonrava Health dental affiliates, including Brident Dental & Orthodontics, DentalWorks, Mid-Atlantic Dental Partners, Perfect Teeth, Vital Smiles, and Western Dental & Orthodontics, have 580 offices in 20 states.
- Contemporary Dentistry in Michigan, a multi-location general dentistry group comprised of four locations, operating under three different brands, located in the growing suburbs of Detroit and Lansing.
- Murfreesboro Oral Surgery & Implant Center. With this affiliation, DCA enters the state of Tennessee, expanding their reach to 22 states.
- Florida Dental Centers and their five locations in the Tampa and St. Petersburg area. This affiliation expands DCA’s footprint in Florida to over 100 practices, and brings DCA’s total footprint to over 390 allied practices across the US.
TUSK Partners Advises LRH Dentistry in its Sale to Select Dental Management.
TUSK Partners, a dental-focused M&A advisor, advised LRH Dentistry in its partnership with Select Dental Management. The transaction was led by Ryan Mingus, Managing Director of Mergers & Acquisitions at TUSK Partners. Under the leadership of doctors Thomas Lupinetti, Vincent Rogliano, and Keric Hockenberry, LRH Dentistry has served the greater Harrisburg, Pennsylvania community for over 30 years. Elliot Zibel, Chief Executive Officer and Co-Founder, leads Select Dental Management.
Paradigm Oral Health Announces Acquisition by BlackRock Long Term Private Capital.
Paradigm Oral Health, an oral surgery and digital dentistry platform, announced that BlackRock Long Term Private Capital has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire a majority interest in the company from shareholders including InTandem Capital Partners. LTPC will partner with Paradigm’s executive leadership team, led by founder and CEO Dr. David Rallis, to support the company’s continued expansion and strategic growth plans.
USOSM Moves into Illinois and Michigan.
U.S. Oral Surgery Management – a specialty management services company that exclusively serves oral and maxillofacial surgeons – has announced a partnership with Erickson Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery of Carol Stream, Illinois. Headquartered in Irving, Texas, this is the company’s first partner practice in the state of Illinois. The oral surgery DSO also recently announced a partnership with Oral and Facial Surgeons of Michigan, an oral and maxillofacial practice with four locations in southeast Michigan. This is USOSM’s first partner practice in the state. USOSM has partner practices spanning 21 states.
Beacon Oral Specialists Expands
Beacon Oral Specialists, headquartered in Dallas Texas and founded in 2020, has announced their newest partnership with Dr. Ronald Martin in Stockbridge, GA. Dr. Martin has been serving Henry County for over 30 years. With the addition of Dr. Martin and his team, Beacon’s footprint in the greater metro-Atlanta area expands to 25 non-branded locations.
Pacific Dental Services Reaches Milestone of 700 Supported Owner Dentists.
Pacific Dental Services® (PDS) announced it reached another milestone with its 700th supported owner dentist: Stacey Howes, DDS, FAGD, of River Point Dental Group and Orthodontics. With this milestone, PDS now has a combined network of over 4,100 supported clinicians in more than 895 locations across 25 states nationwide. River Point Dental Group and Orthodontics is located in Sheridan, Colorado.
Gen4 Dental partners with Bay Area Dental Group.
Gen4 Dental Partners, a Thurston Group portfolio company based in Tempe, AZ, announced the acquisition of Bay Area Dental, a multi-location dental practice in the San Francisco, CA, bay area. Founded and led by Joseph Field, DDS, FAAID, FICOI, FAGD, DABOI/ID, the group includes two locations in Los Altos, plus practices in Mountain View and Cupertino, CA. The addition expands the fast-growing Gen4 Dental Partners platform, which has 46+ locations in markets in Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Utah, Texas, Minnesota, and now California.
Polaris Healthcare Partners Advises All Smiles in Its Partnership with Specialty Smile Partners LLC.
Polaris Healthcare Partners, a dental strategic consulting and M&A Advisory firm, announced its sell-side advisory services of All Smiles in its decision to partner with Specialty Smile Partners LLC. All Smiles’ six locations in the state of Florida immediately expand Specialty Smile Partners’ national reach. Polaris was joined by the nationally recognized law firm, Dykema, which acted as legal counsel for Smile Partners LLC. The Dykema team was led by Craig Woods, Dean Gould, and Natalie Skizas. Ernest H. McDowell, DMD, founder of All Smiles
Independence Dental Services Organization Partners with Redmond Dental Group.
Independence Dental Services announced that they have partnered with Redmond Dental Group. Redmond Dental Group was founded by Dr. Max Higbee more than 30 years ago, and is located in Redmond, OR. Independence Dental Services, an Emerging Group to Watch in 2021, was co-founded by Lane Theriault, who was also one of the founders of Canadian DSO, 123Dentist. Independence is currently partnered with 43 dental centers and growing.
Great Lakes Dental Partners Continues to Expand in Illinois with Signature Dental Group Affiliation, a Leading Dental Implant Provider.
Great Lakes Dental Partners (GLDP) announced the addition of Signature Dental Group to its network of affiliated practices, growing its reach in the greater Chicagoland area. GLDP has 40+ partner locations.
Today’s Dental Network Adds Eastman Periodontics & Implants to Partner Network.
Today’s Dental Network, LLC has officially formed a partnership with Eastman Periodontics & Implants, a multi-location dental practice led by Lindsay Eastman, DDS, MS for over 42 years. With offices in Lakewood Ranch and Bradenton, Florida, the addition of Dr. Eastman further expands the depth and geographical coverage of TDN’s periodontic specialty capabilities to seven locations and the first practice location in the Bradenton market. Eastman was established in 1980.
Affordable Care Grows.
The DSO recently welcomed Dr. Sadiq Oketade and his team in Kennesaw, GA. Founded in 1975, Affordable Care, LLC is exclusively focused on tooth replacement solutions, serving affiliated dentists at ~400 practices in 42 states. Each practice has an on-site dental laboratory, allowing the practice to provide same day dental services.
GDN’s DSO Deal Roundup
– Acquisitions, De Novos, Partnerships, Funding, More – Monthly
Please provide any new DSO or dental deals to Group Dentistry Now for consideration. Include a succinct summary of the acquisition, partnership, de novo location(s), funding, sale or more with details. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GDN may ask for more information, and from time-to-time, may feature a story which could include an interview, etc. GDN reserves the right to refuse publication of any deal for any reason.