Oral healthcare is an essential element in maintaining good overall health. Research shows that harmful bacteria and inflammation in the mouth can indicate and even cause systemic conditions throughout the body. Maladies of the mouth, including periodontal disease, may be linked with other medical conditions including oral cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and more. The Smile Generation, a referral service that connects prospective patients with trusted local dentists in their communities, understands this link between oral health and whole-body health. Smile Generation-trusted dentists educate their patients about this link, known as the Mouth-Body Connection®. Unfortunately, according to the National Association of Dental Plans, more than 70 million Americans are without access to dentistry. As DentalPipeline.org notes, the underserved patient population includes persons with physical or mental disabilities; persons residing in geographically isolated areas or confined to their homes; and persons who are low-income or without dental insurance.
Smile Generation Serve Day:
Increasing Access to Care for Patients in Need
For the past nine years, The Smile Generation has launched a nationwide annual day of service that focuses on dental care: Smile Generation Serve Day. On the same day in August each year, Smile Generation-trusted dental practices throughout the United States open their doors to provide free dentistry to patients in need. Since the first Smile Generation Serve Day event in 2011, over 15,000 patients have received donated dentistry totaling more than $25 million. On Saturday, August 17th, more than 700 Smile Generation-trusted dental practices, which are supported by Pacific Dental Services®, provided donated dentistry to thousands of patients throughout the USA.
2019’s Smile Generation Serve Day took place on Saturday, August 17th
In support of Smile Generation Serve Day, The Smile Generation has partnered with several organizations dedicated to helping people in need, including After Innocence, Special Olympics International, and Dental Lifeline Network. “Smile Generation Serve Day is a great event that allows our volunteers to serve more patients with special needs,” said Fred Leviton, CEO of Dental Lifeline Network, which provides dental care for people with disabilities, people who are elderly and medically fragile, and veterans. “Many of these people will receive life changing services they never would have gotten otherwise. We are so appreciative of all the volunteers who opened up their offices and changed lives in their local communities.”
After Innocence is a non-profit organization that serves prison exonerees nationwide – many of whom falsely imprisoned for decades. “After Innocence provides free post-release support to more than 500 exonerees across the country, many of whom who have serious dental problems arising from years of inadequate care while in prison, and a general lack of good, affordable care since being released. Our partnership with The Smile Generation for Smile Generation Serve Day is a game-changer for dozens of our exoneree-clients. Smile Generation-supported dentists across 13 states are welcoming After Innocence exonerees into their offices, providing extensive pro bono services, and helping these deserving individuals take an important step in rebuilding their lives after wrongful convictions.”
Smile Generation Serve Day also helped Pamela. She was a homeless veteran in need of dental care. After serving her country and being diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, she found it difficult to receive dental insurance and she couldn’t afford to cover the cost on her own. That changed during a previous Smile Generation Serve Day when she met Janki Patel, D.M.D., a Smile Generation-trusted dentist. Dr. Patel gave Pamela life changing dental treatments that transformed her smile. “I thank God for Dr. Patel,” said Pamela. “She said, ‘we’re going to bring your smile back, and it’s not going to cost you a cent.’”
Patient stories like these are at the heart of Smile Generation Serve Day, which speaks to the culture of service that Smile Generation-trusted dentists and their teams embody. However, it’s not just the patients’ lives that are impacted during this day of service. At the end of the day, volunteers are transformed knowing they helped underserved patients achieve not just healthier and happier smiles, but also a new sense of wellbeing. “Service is at the core of who we are as an organization,” said Kyle Guerin, Director, Corporate Social Responsibility at The Smile Generation. “Participating in the act of service helps us focus on what matters most in life.”
To learn more about Smile Generation Serve Day, click HERE.
To learn more about PDS, click on links to their articles:
- PDS Enters New Market, Teams Up with Baltimore Orioles, and Breaks Technology Records
- What is the Owner Dentist Model and How Has it Contributed to PDS’ Latest Impressive Milestone?
- The Group Dentistry Now Show: The Voice of the DSO Industry – Episode 3: New Special Needs Dentistry Clinic
- Pacific Dental Services Foundation is Making a Difference in Special Needs Dentistry
- DSO With a Deeply Rooted Culture of Service, Transforms a Community With Energy and Purpose
- Large DSO Demonstrates its Commitment to Competitive Growth in the Oral Healthcare Industry
- Which Dental Groups Practices, DSOs, and Dental Companies Made Inc. 5000’s 2018 List?
- What Matters Most in Life? One DSO Gives their Answer
- Sharing a Love of Service: A Young Dentist Reflects on Life as a Pacific Dental Services-Supported Dentist
- These DSOs Take a Stand Against Oral Cancer
- ‘INC 5000 2017’ lists Dental Group Practices & DSOs Among fastest-growing private companies in America
- DSO Gives Back to Community One Smile at a Time
- Pacific Dental Services Foundation and Sugar Land Modern Dentistry Partner to Provide Dental Care to Special Needs Community
- DSO Foundation partners with Community Groups to Donate Dental Services
- Pacific Dental Services Foundation partners with Autism Speaks and Concorde Career College to Provide Special Needs Dental Care Training
- DSO Focuses on Special Needs Patients
- Pacific Dental Services Reaches Milestone While Shattering Perception
- Dental Support Organization Bill Unanimously Passes in Washington State
Looking for a Job? Looking to Fill a Job? JoinDSO.com can help:Subscribe for free to the most-read and respected
resource for DSO analysis, news & events:Read what our subscribers & advertisers think of us: