Lightwave, founded in 2016 by a team of investors, operations & finance executives, and guided by dentists, is pioneering a fresh approach to DSO leadership. July was quite the month for this growing DSO which is headquartered in Woodbridge, Virginia. Here is the list of milestones recently met:
- Officially welcomed Gladwell Orthodontics, River Run Dental Spa, and Richmond Virginia Orthodontics to the Lightwave family. They have now officially surpassed 60 dental offices almost entirely within the Virginia and North Carolina markets.
- Announced a rebranding, launched a new logo and new website recently, declaring Lightwave as the first Dental Leadership Organization (or DLO) that focuses on launching dental careers, leading dental groups, and protecting a dentist’s legacy.
- Celebrated the two-year anniversary of their partnership with CarolinasDentist where they have grown from 6 to 12 locations together in two short years.
- They have 50+ doctor shareholders in the Lightwave family, 170 full-time dentists, 1,000+ active employees, and 50+ support team members
“I feel so blessed because of the people I work with and the amazing dental teams we support. After five amazing years, I can honestly say the best years for Lightwave Dental are ahead of us. We are proving to the world that group dentistry, when done right, can help everyone win… patients, dental teams, dentists, leadership teams, and investors. We are just getting started everyone!” – Justin Jory, CEO & Founder, Lightwave Dental
The biggest transformation the organization is seeing as part of this rebrand is the overhaul of their business model from a traditional Dental Support Organization (DSO) to a DLO. This shift stems from Lightwave’s belief that dentists are the natural leaders of the dental practice and the best way to support doctor growth is by doing things the right way with a tight focus on high quality, core values, and taking care of people. Lightwave’s approach preserves the unique identity and legacy of each private practice and then strengthens them with best practices, technology, and leadership training. This approach has taken Lightwave from 8 practices to 60 practices in five years.
“Leadership makes all the difference in dentistry. We are passionate about more than just patient care but about training and developing our dentists to become future leaders. We partner with high-quality, growth-minded dentists to help them grow even faster with less financial risk and better business support. We are building the group model for the future of the dental industry that solve dentistry’s big problems including retirement, management, reimbursements, and partnership by providing the benefits of a group, while preserving the essence of private practice.” – Justin Jory, CEO & Founder, Lightwave Dental
Lightwave sets itself apart from the rest by creating a business model that rewards individual achievement while still promoting collaboration. Experienced dentists can build on their success, while dentists just starting out are able to learn from the best and hone their craft. Lightwave provides a clear path to partnership and ownership for younger dentists and a roadmap to a rewarding retirement for experienced dentists. To make sure growth and patient care can be dentists’ primary focus, Lightwave’s dentists call their own shots and make their own clinical decisions, while leveraging the relationships, research and buying power of the group network.
“Our business model has been shaped by dentists with patient care as our focus, knowing that loyal patients and trusted providers are the bedrock of our practices and our collective business,” said Dr. Clifton Cameron, DDS, Chief Dental Officer of Lightwave. “When small practice administrative burdens pile up, patient care can suffer, just as it does when large organizations push cost-cutting to boost short-term profits. Lightwave’s approach offers a win-win-win model of the highest patient care, business growth, and high returns on investment — fulfilling dentistry careers from launch to legacy.”
Read other Lightwave articles:
- Startup DSO Continues to Ride the Dental Industry’s Wave of Change | Group Dentistry Now
- New DSO Tries to Ride the ‘Wave of Change’ in Dental | Group Dentistry Now
Looking for a Job? Looking to Fill a Job? JoinDSO.com can help:Subscribe for free to the most-read and respected
resource for DSO analysis, news & events:Read what our subscribers & advertisers think of us: