Pacific Dental Services® (PDS), one of the nation’s leading dental support organizations, announced a key milestone in its growth journey. Cumulative revenues for calendar year 2021 exceeded $2 billion, marking yet another significant achievement in the privately held organization’s 27-year history.
It was founded in 1994 by supporting its first office in Costa Mesa, CA. By 1997, PDS grew to more than 20 supported offices. The DSO continues to grow with more than 850 supported dental offices in 26 states across the United States. PDS has been on the Inc. 5000 list of the fastest growing private companies in America 14 times.
With PDS’ unique business model – Private Practice +® – supported dentists can leverage the operational support of the large business services organization, and they have the freedom to focus exclusively on patient care while PDS remains focused on the business aspects of the practice. PDS supported dentists aim to be the provider of choice in all the markets they serve and to develop Patients for Life™.
Building upon this foundation, notable innovative technology implementations made to the business support platform in 2021 — particularly with the Epic® electronic health record system which integrates a patient’s medical and dental records and KaVo OP 3D™ cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) systems — fueled PDS’ unprecedented growth. Additionally, the organization remained focused on raising awareness on a national scale about the critical link between oral health and overall health – what PDS and its supported practices call the Mouth-Body Connection®.
“Surpassing $2 billion in revenue in one calendar year is a benchmark that few privately held companies achieve. While we appreciate this moment, at PDS we are mindful that our success is not found in any aggregated number, but in the success of each individual dental practice, each owner dentist, and ultimately within each patient interaction. We know that the best clinicians don’t seek us out because of our size. They come to work alongside our supported owner dentists knowing that they will receive mentorship and training from the best dentists in the world. They will have access to the best tools, systems and technology available in the industry. They will thrive in an environment that helps them elevate their role as a healthcare professional – not only in assisting patients with their dental needs but truly improving their overall health.” -Stephen E. Thorne IV, PDS Founder & CEO
Other key milestones for Pacific Dental Services in 2021 include:
- First dental support organization in the world to implement Epic®, the most widely used comprehensive health records system, into supported practices. Through Epic, dental practices can easily exchange patient data with other health care providers for improved overall patient care.
- Implementing CBCT technology in 365 supported practices and using 3D imaging to help more patients with improved diagnoses, precise implant placements, and better clinical outcomes.
- Producing and placing 468,211 dental restorations (crowns, inlays/onlays, and veneers) in 2021 alone using CEREC® CAD/CAM technology.
- Launching a one-of-a-kind dental-medical practice in support of whole-body health with the opening of three practices in one – general dentistry, pediatric dentistry and medical care. The innovative, integrated approach offers patients a holistic strategy to managing their overall health care through a variety of services.
- Partnering with the American Diabetes Association® to increase awareness of the link between oral health and diabetes.
- Having a PDS executive serving on the CDC’s 10-person National Association for Chronic Disease Directors Medical-Dental Integration Steering Committee.
- First in the dental industry to offer free college tuition to its team members through its College Advancement Program.
- Partnered with Envista on a multi-year agreement to combine their independently developed machine learning capabilities into Envista’s sophisticated DTX Studio Clinic assisted intelligence (AI) software platform which PDS will deploy to its supported practices to bring the full benefits of AI-supported image sorting, interpretation, and analysis to its supported clinicians.
- Opening its 863rd supported dental practice nationwide and contracting with its 683rd owner dentist.
- First dental support organization to join an accountable care organization with a focus on improving the health of the diabetic population.
- Serving as a collaborative medical and dental care team on Harvard Medical School’s Teaming and Integrating for Smiles and Health (TISH) initiative focused on strengthening primary care and oral health partnerships.
- Launching a specialty dental support organization, Periodontics Health Group, in central Florida.
- Creating a quarterly digital magazine, Generations of Smiles, focused on educating patients on how they can use good oral hygiene practices to improve their overall health.
In March 2019, Stephen Thorne joined GDN on our very first podcast. Much of this still rings true today:
Looking for a Job? Looking to Fill a Job? JoinDSO.com can help:Subscribe for free to the most-read and respected
resource for DSO analysis, news & events:Read what our subscribers & advertisers think of us: