The Pacific Dental Services (PDS®) Foundation continues to demonstrate that service to community is at the core of the dental support organization. Committed to providing oral health care to those in need, they recently traveled to the Tigray Region of Northern Ethiopia to provide comprehensive oral health care to patients in need in the communities of Mekelle and Hawzen. From September 13-21, members of the PDS Foundation and Smile Generation-trusted dentists and volunteers served alongside the Dental School at Mekelle University and the Relief Society of Tigray to provide dentistry for 555 patients.
“Every trip back to Ethiopia reminds us how fortunate we are to be able to provide more access to dental care to the patients of Mekelle and Hawzen. It was clear the dental students were eager to work alongside our clinicians and they were committed to providing comprehensive oral health care to every patient they treated. Many patients traveled miles and even days to receive treatment, further underscoring the fact that the need for dental care is global.” -Kyle Guerin, Director, PDS Foundation & Corporate Social Responsibility
Since their first service trip to Ethiopia in 2014, the PDS Foundation has served more than 11,000 patients and provided more than $7,100,000 in donated dentistry. The PDS Foundation understands the critical need for dentistry in Ethiopia. According to the World Health Organization, it’s estimated that 71% of Ethiopians are affected by oral health-related illnesses. Smile Generation-trusted clinicians and volunteers worked shoulder-to-shoulder with the Dental School at Mekelle University to provide coaching and training for their dental students. The clinicians provide patients with comprehensive oral health care, including cleanings, x-rays, scaling and root planing, restorations and extractions, if needed.
The PDS Foundation’s trip to Ethiopia is part of the organization’s mission to create opportunities to serve through improving oral healthcare locally, nationally, and internationally.
“Service is at the core of who we are as an organization. We are proud that our organization’s success enables us to create opportunities to serve and improve oral health care locally, nationally and internationally, including Guatemala, Fiji, and Ethiopia. We’re humbled to be able to provide donated dentistry each year to the many underserved people in need. We are grateful for the opportunity to serve as we acknowledge that the act of service itself can change our hearts and minds about what matters most in life.” -Stephen Thorne, Founder & CEO, Pacific Dental Services
The Pacific Dental Services Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization whose mission is to create opportunities to serve through improving oral healthcare locally, nationally and internationally. By creating opportunities to serve, the PDS Foundation positively enhances the lives of those in need, and in turn, those who serve. The Foundation provides access and advocacy to disadvantaged and underserved communities in four key areas: PDS Foundation Mobile Dental Clinic, Special Needs Advocacy and Training, Oral Health Scholarships, and International Trips. For more information, visit www.pdsfoundation.org.
PDS, which supports over 750 dental practices in 21 states, is one of the fastest-growing private companies in America. In fact, Inc. Magazine placed PDS on the prestigious Inc. 5,000 list a remarkable 14 times, and also named the company among the “Top Ten Heroes of the American Economy” in recognition of PDS’ ranking as one of the top job creators in the healthcare industry.
To learn more about PDS, click on links to their articles:
- What is the Owner Dentist Model and How Has it Contributed to PDS’ Latest Impressive Milestone?
- PDS Enters New Market, Teams up with Baltimore Orioles, and Breaks Technology Records
- The Group Dentistry Now Show: The Voice of the DSO Industry – Episode 3: New Special Needs Dentistry Clinic
- Pacific Dental Services Foundation is Making a Difference in Special Needs Dentistry
- DSO With a Deeply Rooted Culture of Service, Transforms a Community With Energy and Purpose
- Large DSO Demonstrates its Commitment to Competitive Growth in the Oral Healthcare Industry
- Which Dental Groups Practices, DSOs, and Dental Companies Made Inc. 5000’s 2018 List?
- What Matters Most in Life? One DSO Gives their Answer
- Sharing a Love of Service: A Young Dentist Reflects on Life as a Pacific Dental Services-Supported Dentist
- These DSOs Take a Stand Against Oral Cancer
- ‘INC 5000 2017’ lists Dental Group Practices & DSOs Among fastest-growing private companies in America
- DSO Gives Back to Community One Smile at a Time
- Pacific Dental Services Foundation and Sugar Land Modern Dentistry Partner to Provide Dental Care to Special Needs Community
- DSO Foundation partners with Community Groups to Donate Dental Services
- Pacific Dental Services Foundation partners with Autism Speaks and Concorde Career College to Provide Special Needs Dental Care Training
- DSO Focuses on Special Needs Patients
- Pacific Dental Services Reaches Milestone While Shattering Perception
- Dental Support Organization Bill Unanimously Passes in Washington State
Watch our interview with PDS’ CEO and founder, Stephen Thorne:
Watch our interview with Dr. Jacob Dent and Kyle Guerin of PDS Foundation discuss the new PDS Foundation Dentists for Special Needs Clinic which recently opened in Phoenix, Arizona:
Choose your favorite listening app and click on it for a direct link to the show:
Looking for a Job? Looking to Fill a Job? JoinDSO.com can help:Subscribe for free to the most-read and respected
resource for DSO analysis, news & events:Read what our subscribers & advertisers think of us: