Dental support organization (DSO) and dental group practice consolidation remain steady. However, there is a notable surge in discussions regarding distressed DSOs, the growth of private group practice, and interest rate/economic pressures.
Group Dentistry Now is the only resource providing a complete list of monthly deals in one convenient place, keeping you informed on the ever-shifting dental landscape. Subscribe today so you don’t miss this valuable article each month!
Here is GDN’s exclusive list of DSO and emerging group deals for January:
TUSK Practice Sales advised Gentle Dental World in its partnership to Dental Care Alliance. The transaction was led by Josh Swearingen, Director of Mergers & Acquisitions, and Kevin Cumbus, President of TUSK. Under the leadership of Dr. Marianna Knopov, her husband, Mr. David Knopov, and son, Garry Knopov, Gentle Dental World has served the Queens, New York Community for over 20 years.
Maryville Family Dental (formerly Roberson Family Dental), located in Maryville, Tennessee, joins Southern Family Dental Partners. The new acquisition expands the Emerging Groups to Watch in 2024 winner’s footprint in the Knoxville Metro area.
Australian-based Impression Dental Group, an Emerging Groups to Watch in 2024 winner, welcomed Taringa Fiveways Dental. Nestled in the heart of leafy Brisbane, this practice will join their Totally Smiles Indooroopilly team. At the helm of Taringa Fiveways Dental is Dr. Natalie Costello. Impression Dental Group is led by Mark O’Brien, CEO.
Family Dental Care announced opening of its brand-new office in Munster, Indiana. The 5,800 square foot office features 11 treatment rooms. Family Dental Care is the largest, privately owned dental group in Chicago, with seven locations, 50+ doctors and hygienists and over 230 staff. It was also an Emerging Groups to Watch winner in 2021. The group was founded by Dr. Alexander G. Alemis in 1986.
Dental365, an Emerging Groups to Watch winner in 2017, announced the acquisition of Dynamic Growth, an Emerging Groups to Watch winner in 2022. Dynamic Growth is a group practice made up of six offices in Central Pennsylvania that offer pediatric, family and cosmetic dentistry. The six office locations acquired include:
- Grove Dental Group – State Hill in Wyomissing, PA
- Grove Kids Pediatric Dentistry in Wyomissing, PA
- Theodore E. Dando, DMD Family & Cosmetic
- Dentistry in Hamburg, PA
- LANCO Dental Care in Lancaster, PA
- Advanced Dentistry of Centre County in State College, PA
- Complete Family Dentistry in Wellsboro, PA
Lone Peak Dental Group, an Emerging Groups to Watch winner in 2021, announced a strategic investment from the BlackRock Impact Opportunities Fund. Lone Peak will leverage the funding to continue to scale its clinic platform nationwide and pursue additional growth opportunities. Founded in 2003 by two pediatric dentists, Lone Peak is one of the largest pediatric focused DSOs in the United States, supporting the operation of 69 pediatric dental clinics across 13 states, with a differentiated ‘owner-dentist model’ that employs over 150 dentists and 81% bi-lingual staff across the platform. The group operates in communities serving low-income children under Medicaid across the U.S., with over 40% of children in the country covered by Medicaid / CHIP.
MB2 Dental kicked off the first month of the new year by welcoming 21 new partners across 12 different states:
- Jean Chan, DDS & Associates in El Cajon, CA, Acquisition
- Michael Rogers, DDS in El Cajon, CA, Acquisition
- Smile Loft – Hillandale and Branch Ave in Camp Springs, MD, Acquisition
- Boca Del Ray Pediatric Dentistry in Del Ray, FL, Acquisition
- Beautiful Smiles in Manasquan, NJ, Acquisition
- Caloosa Dental – Lehigh Acres and Fort Meyers in Lehigh Acres and Fort Meyers, FL, Acquisition
- John E. Russo, DMD in Orlando, FL, Acquisition
- Sara Cummins Aesthetic & Implant Dentistry in Prospect, KY, Acquisition
- Cronin Family Dentistry – Columbia and Hattiesburg in Columbia and Hattiesburg, MS, Acquisition
- Emerson Orthodontics in Broken Arrow, OK, Acquisition
- Pediatric Dentistry of Newnan in Newnan, GA, Acquisition
- Johnson & Mahan Dental Care in Florence, AL, Acquisition
- Long Island Family Dental in Melville, NY, Acquisition
- Oral and Facial Surgeons of Arizona – Arcadia & Tempe in Arcadia and Tempe, AZ, Acquisition
Beacon Oral Specialists’ affiliated practice network, Oral Surgery Hawaii, opened their fourth office location. While their other three locations are on the island of Oahu, they are expanding their services onto the Big Island with the new office located in Hilo, Hawaii.
Southern Orthodontic Partners welcomes eight new locations:
- Lake Jackson Orthodontics, Lake Jackson, TX, led by Dr. Kevin McGrory
- McGrory Orthodontics, Pearland, TX, led by Dr. Kate McGrory
- Jeff Thompson Orthodontics, Leawood, KS, led by Dr. Jeff Thompson
- Reed Orthodontics, Naples, FL, led by Dr. Barbra Reed
- Oread Orthodontics, Lawrence, KS, led by Dr. Brent Wood
- Duffy Orthodontics, Broken Arrow, OK, led by Dr. Kevin Duffy
- Petty & Bielik Orthodontics, Oak Lawn, IL, led by Dr. William Petty & Dr. Kathryn Bielik
Dentologie, a Chicago-based dental group expanded into the suburban market for the first time with the opening of its Oak Park, Illinois location. Dentologie plans to open 8—12 more practices with continued penetration in Chicago; expand into new markets in 2024 and 2025; further develop the Dentologie tech platform; and grow the HQ team. As of the Oak Park opening, the company now operates 10 Chicagoland locations in neighborhoods like the South Loop, Streeterville, Bucktown, West Loop, Clark & Diversey, Gold Coast, River North, Southport Corridor, Lincoln Park, and more.
Gen4 Dental Partners welcomed Dr. Eric S. Tsai and his team at Tsai Periodontics Dental Implants in Walnut Creek, California. Gen4 Dental Partners is led by CEO Lamonte Jensen and CCO Dr. Mitch Ellingson.
Flagship Specialty Partners announced a partnership with Virginia Oral & Facial Surgery (VOFS.) The seven established locations of VOFS extends Flagship’s clinical footprint into Virginia and marks an important milestone in the company’s growth across the Southeast. Flagship now supports over 43 locations and approximately 70 total providers.
- Dr. Stephan Drescher, Drescher & Cohen DDS, Alanta, GA
- Dr. Bruce Edelstein, Dr. Bruce Edelstein DDS, Alanta, GA
Legacy Dental Group, based in Chattanooga, Tennessee, announced its latest acquisition, Lookout Valley Dental, also located in Chattanooga. This move marks their fifth acquisition in the past four years.
Northwell Health announced the expansion of dental medicine services in Nassau County with the acquisition of two established practices. The locations are now open and have been rebranded as Northwell Health Physician Partners Dental Medicine:
- Great Neck, 173 East Shore Road, Suite 201, in Great Neck
- Garden City, 300 Garden City Plaza, Suite 212, in Garden City.
The new locations expand Northwell’s outpatient dental services to seven practices in the region, including six across Long Island. In addition, Northwell and ProHEALTH Dental in August announced a strategic agreement to provide oral health services across Long Island, New York City and Westchester County.
Live Well Dental, dentalcorp’s first fully corporate de novo practice, is now welcoming patients. Located at The Well, downtown Toronto’s new vibrant ‘live-work-play’ community, this new location explores a new frontier for dentalcorp. The practice is led by Dr. Amad Chaudhry and is equipped with ten treatment rooms, a digital lab, and 3D printing.
Adria Dental Group, which is headquartered in Zagreb, Croatia, has expanded their operations to Slovenia with an investment in Primadent Koper. Primadent operates in four modernly equipped offices with plans for further expansion. The clinic is recognized as leader in digital dentistry, with fully digital clinic and lab processes.
Affordable Care’s Affordable Dentures & Implants network opened new locations:
- Affordable Dentures & Implants in Lewisville, TX
- Affordable Dentures & Implants in Lynnwood, WA
- Affordable Dentures & Implants in Wyomissing, PA
Affordable Care’s Advanced Dental Implant Center network welcome a new affiliation:
- Dental Implants of Ocala in Ocala, Florida
The following Affordable Dentures & Implants location celebrated a grand re-opening:
- Affordable Dentures & Implants in Anderson, South Carolina
MAX Surgical Specialty Management LLC (MAX) enters two new states: NY and VT:
- New York Oral, Maxillofacial, and Implant Surgery (NYOMIS) with locations in Scarsdale and Mt. Kisco
- Northern Vermont Oral Surgery (NVOS) in Essex Junction, VT led by Dr. William Purdy
- Vermont Oral Surgery Associates (VOSA) in South Burlington, VT, led by Dr. Paul Boerman
The OMS DSO recently launched at AAOMS and now has 20 locations, doubling since inception, representing 27 surgeons across three states.
Centres dentaires Lapointe, which is part of 123Dentist, officially opened their brand-new office, which is located in the heart of the vibrant Dix/30 district just outside of Montreal.
123Dentist unveiled their newest corporate office in the heart of Brossard, Quebec, Canada.
Specialized Dental Partners announced partnership with Dr. Ramesh Thondapu and Sattva Endodontics.
Oral Surgery Partners (OSP) announced the closing of a $400+ million credit expansion. With this additional capital, OSP will continue investing in infrastructure and pursuing add-on acquisitions and partnerships nationwide. Headquartered in St. Louis, MO, OSP supports over 100 oral surgeons in 70+ offices in 20 states.
Rock Dental Brands of Little Rock continued its expansion with new affiliations in four states:
- Cardinal Orthodontics, an orthodontic practice based in Missouri
- Smile Concepts Orthodontics, an orthodontic clinic in Apopka, Florida
- Meade Moore Pediatric Dentistry, a children’s dentistry clinic in Germantown, Tennessee
- Arkansas Oral & Facial Surgery Center, a facial and oral surgery practice with locations in northwest Arkansas
The dentist-owned practice management group now operates 108 dental offices in five states, including Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Alabama and Florida.
Rodericks Dental Partners add additional locations:
- Westbourne Dental Practice, established over two decades ago in Birkenhead, UK, has seven operatories and 21 team members. Mark O’Connor is the owner and principal dentist of Westbourne Dental Practice. Rodericks Dental Partners has 200 locations across the UK.
- St Mary’s Place Dental Practice, located in the heart of Stafford, UK. They have 13 team members across its four surgeries.
The Dental Design Studio will take over Bupa Dental Care in North Walsham, UK, which was put up for sale last year after the private healthcare provider announced it would close, sell or merge 85 of its 475 practices in the UK and Ireland. The Dental Design Studio group is made up of 20 dental practices owned by Dr. Jeff Sherer, Clinical Director, and Dr. Larry Levin, who bought their first practice in the region in 2010.
Dental Care Alliance acquired The Kids Dentist, a single-location general practice in Mequon, Wisconsin. Racine Dental Group, who joined DCA a little more than a year ago, was instrumental in bringing The Kids Dentist to DCA.
Heartland Dental announced their newest supported practice – Capstone Dental of Charlotte, NC, led by Dr. Steven Yang.
Sage Dental opened two new locations:
- Sage Dental of South Tampa, FL
- Sage Dental of Beachwalk, FL
The DSO Deal RoundUp is sponsored by TUSK Practice Sales, the premier M&A Advisor for healthcare practices looking to maximize their value in a sale. With an in-depth understanding of the marketplace, collective experience of over 125+ years, and access to hundreds of buyers nationwide, TUSK helps their clients confidently pursue M&A transactions that maximize their long-term value. They offer their clients solutions that help them achieve their strategic and financial objectives. If you’re interested in knowing the true value of your practice, click here for a complimentary practice valuation.