As a business owner, you know the challenge of choosing the right technology for your organization. Making the right choice is critical to your long-term success.
The changing landscape of dental technology can be challenging to navigate — each new solution promises to increase efficiency and help you reach your financial goals, but many prove to be irrelevant, passing fads. While not every new technology is worth adopting, some stand the test of time. Cloud-based dental software is proving to be an affordable, effective option for dental practices and has been widely adopted as a result.
Why the Cloud?
Why is the cloud so attractive? In their 2022 guide to cloud computing, Forbes lists several key benefits:
- Financial savings
- Increased agility
- More efficient operation
With a low initial cost and lower overall IT costs, cloud-based software offers budget relief to business owners. A cloud solution provides a better return on your investment because it eliminates the need to pay for software features you don’t need. And, with a monthly subscription, your IT costs are more predictable and your budget forecasts more accurate.
While client-based systems store your data on-premises on servers that can only be locally accessed, cloud-based software makes it possible for you to access your data online remotely. This increased flexibility makes it easier to be agile and productive no matter where you are.
Cloud-based systems also remove common barriers to operational efficiency and productivity. Locating and integrating information from separate systems can be time-consuming. The centralized, accessible data that comes with cloud-based software boosts productivity and saves time.
Cost Benefits of the Cloud
Cloud-based software offers your dental practice a more productive staff, higher system availability, greater mobility and several cost benefits.
Cloud advantages over on-premises software include
- Low upfront costs. With cloud-based software, you pay a monthly subscription fee instead of purchasing the software up front. This subscription doesn’t just allow you to use the software — it includes data storage, automatic backups, software updates and technical support.
- No extra installation costs. The devices you use — Macs, PCs and tablets — are all you need. If these devices have an internet connection with a supported browser, no extra installation is required.
- No additional devices to purchase. It doesn’t matter if your practice uses Macs or PCs, desktops or mobile devices. Cloud-based software works with the devices you already have and know how to use, so there is no need to purchase new devices.
- Lower IT costs. Cloud-based software doesn’t require on-site technical support. Most of the maintenance, backup and upgrading processes are automatic and included in your subscription.
- No downtime for backups and updates. Backups and software updates are done automatically when you and your team are off the system, so you won’t waste time or money on downtime for updates or backups.
Total Cost of Ownership
Compared to a traditional on-premises solution, how much less expensive is a cloud-based solution? The answer depends on many factors, including the costs for these items:
- License or subscription fees (that include maintenance and support)
- Setup and customization (if needed)
- Integration with other systems (if needed)
- Data migration
- Internet service (which you have, but may choose to upgrade)
You can roughly compare the total cost of ownership of an on-premises system to a cloud-based system using an online calculator. Keep in mind that the calculator doesn’t include the hidden costs of on-premises software, such as consulting fees, connectivity fees, storage and backup fees, virus removal costs and so on.
Choosing the Right System
When choosing which cloud-based system to adopt, cost is just one aspect in the decision — clinical features, scalability, ease of use and the company offering the system are all important factors.
Dentrix Ascend is a feature-rich, flexible, cloud-based practice management system that offers outstanding imaging tools, patient communications, front office features and more — the essential tools needed for a modern dental organization. Practice management data and tools are accessible in one integrated system, and all at the low upfront cost of a cloud-based solution that can grow with you. The result is an affordable, effective practice management system that helps your team increase productivity and efficiency.
Another factor to consider is the value of partnering with the right organization. Dentrix Ascend is backed by Henry Schein One, an industry-leading dental software company with decades of experience. Since launching the Dentrix practice management software in 1989, Henry Schein One has leveraged its expertise to help dental practices succeed. By partnering with Henry Schein One, Dentrix Ascend users gain access to benefits that go beyond the features of their software.
Built for Growth
Dental Express, a DSO based in California, chose cloud-based software to help them grow. Watch their journey to learn why.
“I’m a firm believer that if you can find a way to spend more time with the patients, improving their experience, then everybody wins … and Dentrix Ascend is a software that allows you to do that.”
— William Hollander, Manager of Process Development, Dental Express
For more information on the advantages of using
cloud-based software in your dental practice,
download the free eBook on how to transition
your dental practice to the cloud
or visit www.DentrixAscend.com.
Looking for a Job? Looking to Fill a Job? JoinDSO.com can help:Subscribe for free to the most-read and respected
resource for DSO analysis, news & events:Read what our subscribers & advertisers think of us: